Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 30, 2013


My dearest family,
It was a wonderful blessing to talk to you on Christmas! It felt like only 5 minutes, though! I couldn't believe how fast it went by! I had a wonderful Christmas day. We went to Sister Peterson's parents' house and opened presents and had biscuits and gravy there! I loved all the presents I got. I felt like a little kid with how excited I was to open presents. Thank you! Even though I couldn't be home with ya'll I had a spectacular family to be with. It sounds like Mecate Christmas went well, too. Luckily I only have to miss one, so I am excited to be there next year! Oh, and the Filipino food was so exciting, Grandma! I used the banana ketchup right away!

This week held many Christmas miracles for us. Our whole zone was praying for us that we would find a miracle. We found a new investigator every day except for Monday. That's 6 new people to teach! One of them is the wife of a less active, Brandon. He has PTSD and it is very difficult for him to be at church and to be with a lot of people. But he is so awesome! His wife has never really been interested in the church. She actually used to hide from the missionaries! But we took them some cookies on Christmas and shared a message and then asked if we could start teaching them the lessons to help Brandon out, but also to help us with our teaching. And Jen said she would sit in, too! We had our first lesson with them on Saturday and it went so well! Jen had lots of questions and so many things were cleared up that she was confused about before. I am so excited for them. They are a great couple. I know that it will strengthen them so much and bring so much light into both of their lives if Jen accepts the gospel and they are able to start coming to church together. They also have two of the sweetest pit bulls ever. One is Sarah and she sheds like crazy but is so nice. And the new one is Charlies and she is CRAZY hyper. They have a fun household.
The longer I am in both wards, the more I love the people, and the happier I have become. It's a great life, to be a missionary. I am dreading transfers. I feel like things are going too well to stay like this for long. Whatever is God's will has to be the best thing, but I still have a deepening desire to stay here! I have grown to love the people, and I am NOT ready to let go. We will see what happens.

We had a lesson with LaChelle at President Eaton's home on Saturday! It was great. It was kind of a surprise to see President Eaton so relaxed and laid back. Usually he is a little more fired up, and so it was nice to be around him in when he was just a little more himself. He has a sense of humor like no other. And Sister Eaton is just the sweetest wife to him. They are a riot, and are also some of the most converted people I have ever met. Anyways the lesson went well. LaChelle is progressing so much, and her son Tourez came, too! And she told us the next day that he read some verses in the Book of Mormon. I was sooooo excited! Wahoo! I can see hope coming into her life. She is an amazing woman, and we are trying to help her see that she really is a child of God and that He loves her unconditionally. I know she will accept the gospel and will be baptized eventually. Her heart is humble and her intentions pure. It's only a matter of when. It will be one of the happiest days in my life!
Time is about up. One thing that I have realized about missionary work is that it truly helps us become like our Savior. As we share the gospel, we are happier in the gospel! The Lord could do His work however he wanted and he has allowed us the blessing of being a part of it. Elder Corbridge talked to us about that a couple of weeks ago. One girl I met before I came on my mission told me that her mission saved her life. I feel the same! This is an experience that is strengthening my testimony and my love of God and His children in ways that I've never before felt. I know this work is real and that God and Jesus Christ live. The message of the Restoration is true! Joseph Smith really was a prophet. And the Book of Mormon really is the word of God. As you find ways to share your testimony of Jesus Christ with others, you will see the blessings in your life and in theirs! Have a great week.
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment