Saturday, December 28, 2013

December 23, 2013


Dear Family,
There were too many miracles this week to write about. Someone has been praying for us-this I know. Miracles don't just happen without faith! Ok, so I will just jump right in!

On P-day, we had a conversation with a man at a gas station. He is religious at a Pentecostal church. He said we had a good spirit about us and that drew him to us. We talked a little bit about the restoration, gave him our number, and he said he would call sometime. I didn't really think he would, but he did! We had a quick lesson with him at the church with Sister Peterson, gave him a Book of Mormon, and now we hope he will call us again! He really just wants to strengthen his testimony of Jesus Christ.

On Sunday, we were able to teach two less active families, one whose son Riley is 9 and hasn't been baptized. They also have twin 7 year olds and then an 8 year old foster son and 6 year old foster daughter. It was like teaching primary-so fun! We taught them about Jesus Christ and the real meaning of Christmas. We have an appointment to go back next Sunday! Good things are in store for their families.

Oh my goodness gracious I almost forgot-we gave John a Book of Mormon!!!!! This is beyond exciting. John is the one who served in Iraq. Sister Margaritis and I tried a few times to share the gospel with him. We gave him an article and he never read it, and we invited him to watch conference and he wouldn't. Sister Kirschner and I found out his wife passed away 3 years ago on the day we gave him the Book of Mormon. John has many burdens in his life. He is such a good person, he just needs the hope of the gospel! Also, John was going to move to Oregon a couple months ago, but then ended up staying here for a while longer. I know he's here so that he can have the gospel in his life! Heavenly Father does not work in the way of coincidences-he works in miracles! (Mormon 9:11-"But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles...") Sister Kirschner's faith is blessing so many people. I am hesitant to bring up gospel things, because I don't want to annoy him, but she just brings it up! She asked about his beliefs and he opened up a lot. By the end of the conversation he was just like, "I've got books, I already know stuff." And I was like,"We have a book!" So eloquent and profound, I know. I was just so excited! And we ran into him last night and he said he's been reading it! I went into a frenzy the other day writing scriptures and my correlating testimony in a letter to him. I'm still working on it, but I am very excited to give it to him.
 The gospel is so real and it's so true!
On Saturday night, after a long day of not having a lot of success, we found Colton. He is the grandson of a less active lady we are going to start teaching. He went outside to smoke when we were leaving, and he ended up talking to us about how he wants to turn his life around, he just doesn't know where to start. We are going to go back and teach him tonight! He is at a very low point in his life. I know that no matter how low we get, the Savior can pull us heavenward and save us from the depths of hell. There is always hope! 

I was just thinking this morning about how I really wish the youth programs focused more on prayer. The truth and importance of every basic principle of the gospel can be made known to us through prayer. Prayer is an amazing gift from Heavenly Father! I have totally taken it for granted in my life. If the youth were taught to really pray, I think lives would be changed. And I know I've had many lessons on prayer, don't get me wrong, but actually implementing faith filled prayer in my life is changing who I am and what I understand about our Heavenly Father. Now that I have a very urgent need to pray, I am learning this principle, but I think I too often coasted through times in my life where I should have been praying more fervently. As I have prayed with faith, and with specificity, I have seen specific blessings happen. This strengthens my faith in God and helps me to want to pray more often and with more faith! Such a basic principle, but it takes so long to really learn it! But there are so many promises given to us from Heavenly Father about prayer. 3 Nephi 18:18-20 "Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.
Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you."
Prayer gives us strength to avoid Satan-what a blessing! And that is in any aspect of our lives-thinking negative thoughts about ourselves or others, giving us strength against the natural man, and everything else hard in our lives!
Remember the reason for the season. Jesus Christ, born in the humblest of circumstances, came to redeem of from our sins. I know He lives! I am so grateful to serve Him at this time of year. 

And I'm about out of time! I love you all! Have a Merry Christmas! I will talk to you all in approximately 48 hours! Wahooooooo!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment