Monday, April 14, 2014

April 14, 2014


Dear family,
Last week I talked about the atonement and Nephi's experience with it. I studied this in Elder Bednar's talk called, "The Enabling Power of the Atonement." So before I forget, you should check out that talk, especially with Easter coming up! Which leads me to my next point! The church has created a video about Jesus Christ called "Because of Him." Visit http://easter.mormon.org/ to watch it and read the story about Jesus' sacrifice for us. It's filled with the Spirit and is a wonderful reminder that Jesus Christ suffered and died for each one of us. He made it so that we could be saved from the storms of this life and from our own weaknesses, fears, and mistakes. Because He died and lived again, so can we. There is no greater knowledge than this, that we have a Savior, that we have a Heavenly Father who would not leave us to bear the burdens of this life alone, that we might have hope, and that we might be able to become free through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel privileged to be a representative of Jesus Christ at this time of year, similarly to how I felt around Christmas. I am grateful that we can know every day of the year of the principles of the gospel, that we can have faith in Christ and repent, we can receive strength from baptismal covenants, and rely on the Holy Ghost for peace, comfort, and guidance.
This week was great! We taught lots of lessons and met a lot of people. I am still getting used to all the people here! I just want to talk to them all, but that's not exactly possible. That's why I really need the guidance of the Spirit! By the way, I can't wait to tell you all about the some of the super awkward moments that I've had! I have a feeling I'm getting a little too comfortable with uncomfortable moments. I think I'm going to be super awkward when I get home! Anyways, this week we read the Book of Mormon with one of our investigators and his grandma. It was awesome how they both applied it to themselves. They made the connection with how Lehi and his family were similar to Jospeh and Mary when they were commanded to pack up and leave everything to follow God's plan for them. They also noticed how Nephi was similar to Joseph of Egypt in that he was young, yet he was made a ruler over his brothers because of his righteousness. Those were some eye opening observations to me! I love the Spirit of
the Book of Mormon and I love reading it with others. I always learn so much. We also got to meet one of the families who has 2 boys about to be baptized. The elders in our ward have been teaching them, and we are kind of going to be like on-the-side teachers, I guess. I love those boys! One is 9 and one is 7. They have some trouble concentrating so lessons are a bit crazy, but are so fun. They are just the sweetest and they are so excited to come to church.
The ward members are great. We are slowly, but surely, getting to know them. President Eaton's father and step-mother actually live in our ward! They are so great! Brother Eaton is making us birthday cards, because he apparently has some awesome cartooning skills. We went over to practice teaching them about the Restoration and the Spirit was so strong from all the comments they made. They are awesome people.
 All the families that we've visited are great. One lady in our ward is someone I've met before at zone conferences. She mends our clothes for us. She is so great! I can't remember her name, because it's pretty unique, but she is awesome. She told us how the missionaries taught her years ago and it took her 11 months to decide she wanted to join the church.
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter. I will be thinking about you guys! And even though I've been booted out of the Easter Egg Hunt, because I'm an "adult," I will miss the great fun that we always have! (I hope they still give you some candy, Brooke!) And I hope that we can all remember, amidst the fluffy bunnies, colorful eggs, and yummy candy, that our Savior, Jesus Christ, lives and that we each have the opportunity every day feel of His love in our lives. I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment