Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17, 2013


Dear Family,
Guess what, I spoke in church yesterday, and it was great! I got to talk about how members of the church helped Mom and Dad in their conversion to the gospel. It was easy for me to talk about it, because it is so important to me! Taking time to ponder how all of those people helped you made me realize how grateful I am for them! Their efforts in helping you come unto Christ is leading to generations of people who will get to have these same blessings. I shared D&C 18:15-16 that says, "And if it so be that you shouldlabor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one asoul unto me, how great shall be your joy withhim in the kingdom of my Father!
 16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the akingdom of my Father, how great will beyour bjoy if you should bring many csouls unto me!" We each can have a greater influence than we realize as we exercise our faith in sharing the gospel. Our joy will be great if we bring just one soul unto Christ, but that one soul may lead to many, many more who will get to hear about the gospel. Now, as active members of the church, you have already influenced many, including your four lovely daughters, in helping them come unto Christ. Isn't the gospel great!?
This week I really tried to listen to our investigators and to the Spirit. The Spirit is the key! I just read this morning in Preach My Gospel-"The Spirit is the most important single element in this work. With the Spirit magnifying your call, you can do miracles for the Lord in the mission field. Without the Spirit you will never succeed regardless of your talent and ability." -Ezra Taft Benson. It is always a learning process, trying to listen to the Spirit. I'm hoping the "slow and steady wins the race" idea applies here. ;) But here is one of the blessings I've seen from that this week. One instance was during a lesson with the daughter of a less active member. She has not been baptized, but has heard a lot about the church. The first half of the lesson she kind of wanted to tell us all the reasons why she disagreed with us, not in a contentious way, but without an open heart. I felt impressed to talk to her about some of the spiritual gifts that I thought she had, and almost right after that small conversation she opened up and talked about things in her life that we could apply to the gospel and then helped her recognize some of the faith she has. By the end of the lesson she was asking us if we could come back and teach her more about the Book of Mormon. I am so grateful for the promptings of the Spirit!
This leads me to the next thing I've seen this week-the power of the Book of Mormon! The Book of Mormon invites the Spirit like no other during lessons! We can receive answers to questions as we read it with people as well as just peace. When we feel peace from the Spirit we can know that what we are saying or reading or discussing is true. We found one of our investigators absorbed in the Book of Mormon when we went to visit her at the laundromat where she works. It was a beautiful moment to see her through the window engrossed in the Book, searching for the truth and conviction that she wants. And I know she will find it as she searches and ponders and prays with all her heart, just like we all can.
I love you family! Have a great week! If you want some more light in your day, bear your testimony! I promise it works!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment