Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014


Dear Family,
I'm feeling particularly blessed today, because I'm staying another transfer in Maple Valley! It's gonna end up being over half my mission that I will be here, and I love it. Sister Kirschner is helping me grow beyond what I could do on my own. She's a great blessing. I also forgot to tell you, sometimes when we are out talking to people, we compare our mission to a baseball game. Some people throw curve balls at us, and sometimes we strike out, but then we look at what a decent batting average would be, 300, and we feel a lot better about our efforts-Ha! We like to have a good time.
Thank you for the packages! I loved the Valentine's package from Mom. We ate our breakfast on those plates :). And when I saw that you had sent me almond cookies, Dad, I just about died. I have already almost eaten all of the chocolates you sent me, Cass-my favorites! It seems like you all want to make sure I come back as plump as possible ;) I really appreciate the treats from you guys. They remind me of being with you!

We had some great success with tracting this week. We found one lady who was so open and honest with us about how she struggles with her belief in God because of deaths in her family, but that she wants her kids to have Christ in their lives. We are going back this week to talk to her more. And we met a man whose daughter has had 4 spinal surgeries, and has experienced a lot of pain, but he recognizes the need for trials and for turning to God-part of the Plan of Salvation! He and his family have a lot of faith. He said he would read the Book of Mormon in a week. We are going back Friday! We met a cute couple who are searching for truth and have lots of questions about the Church. We are going back Saturday. There are many people in Maple Valley who are prepared to hear about and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love seeing how real the hastening of the work is. It is a difficult and engaging work, but it is great!

I am most grateful that Heavenly Father is teaching me how to love-myself, my companion, and all of His children. Learning how to love is a life long process! In my studies this week I read from Moroni 7, which is all about charity. There is so much goodness in there, I don't even know where to start! How about with verses 44-45?

44 If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.
 45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
These verses made me think back to a lesson we had with Mick this week. He talks a lot about wanting to change his heart through Christ, in other words obtaining charity. He was worried that maybe we "only believed in works." But these verse make it very clear that we do not. If we only become a do-gooder and we don't have charity, we "are nothing." We are a hollow image of Jesus Christ. But as we obtain charity, we reflect the light of Christ in our lives. I am working on some of the things listed in verse 45 that I may become a more converted and charitable disciple of Christ.
And this one was just the faith booster that I needed.
"33 And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me."
I also studied in 1 John, chapter 4. 
"Beloved, let us alove one another: for blove is of God; and every one that loveth is cborn of God, and knoweth God.
 He that loveth not aknoweth not God; for God is love.
 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might alive through him.
 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he aloved us, and bsent his Son to be the cpropitiation for our sins.
 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
 12 aNo man hath bseen God at any time. If we love one another, cGod ddwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."
I am running out of time so I will let that speak for itself. Oh, and just by the way, LaChelle has decided she wants to be baptized and has committed to march 15th! I love that woman! And I LOVE YOU! Have a great week!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment