Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 28, 2014


Dear Family,
I am late emailing this week, because we got to go to the temple today! It's been a crazy day, but wonderful! I cannot express what a blessing it was to be in the temple. I almost couldn't bring myself to leave. It had been 7 months since I had been inside a temple, and it was a long overdo trip. Peace beyond anything else this world can offer is what I felt today. I know that the temple truly is a House of the Lord. I'm sure I've quoted this scripture to you before, but it is just so fitting. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27. I have a renewed vigor to help our investigators not only be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but to help them get to the temple and then to eternal life. Also, I have been having feelings of anxiety about possibly being transferred, seeing as how I have spent half my mission in Maple Valley. I do not want to leave. There are so many people here who I love who I still want to help. But in the temple I was able to feel peace at the idea of doing whatever Heavenly Father needs me to do. All I can say is that I know God loves His children and He desperately wants all of us to be happy and full of joy in this life and to return to Him in the next.  One of the tracting ideas we have been using is "On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy will you be if the Seahawks win the Superbowl?" (Everyone are crazy Seahawks fans here and the Superbowl is this weekend!) So far people have said 10. Then we talk about how there are lots of things in this world that make us happy, but the gospel of Jesus Christ brings us real joy and peace and makes us happier than we could rate on a scale of 1 to 10. I am so grateful for this knowledge. I love the gospel!
We now have two people committed to baptism! One is Riley, the 9 year old boy. We are also teaching DeVon, his foster brother. And another is Joe. Joe's wife is a member. We went over to visit their family one night, and Joe sat down and started talking with us. We ended up teaching parts of the Restoration and how the gospel brings us peace in this life. He said that's what he's looking for and asked if he could be baptized! We could see how much he wanted for his family to be happy, especially his kids. There are many miracles happening with Part Member families! There's Doug and Alicia. Doug thinks he's really cool and tries to mock us just a little bit, but he really wants the best for his family, and deep down he appreciates us. He waved exuberantly at us the other day while we were walking down the street and he drove by. It made our day! There's the Brandon and Jen, who we love. Jen is actually considering baptism after being someone who used to hide from the missionaries. There's Kelly, whose husband is a member but wants nothing to do with the church. We are good friends with her and we think her heart is prepared is hear and accept the gospel. We have been trying for weeks to teach her. We are determined to teach her this week. There's the Politeo's. Brother Politeo isn't a member (yet) but he comes to church all the time! And there's the Steele's, Sam and Nicole. They are the cutest little family. They have a 2 and a half year old named Amelia. Sam has been a member his whole life. He calls the commandments guidelines (he's pretty funny), and Nicole has investigated the church before. She's still working on getting her answer. And there's the LeBlanc's. Such a cute little family. Landon, the dad, used to play baseball, so we have an in! They have the most adorable children. We love all of these people! They are just amazing.
LaChelle is progressing, slowly, but surely. That woman is amazing! She has so much strength. And her faith is building in Jesus Christ. She recognizes that the peace she feels around us and at church and in the scriptures is the Holy Ghost. I cannot wait for the day when I get to be with her in the temple!
Well, I hope you have a great week! Sorry this email was kind of all over the place. Our time is cut a little short. I know God lives and Loves you! And I do to!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment