Saturday, September 28, 2013

September 23, 2013


Dear Family,
Being on a mission is a lot like normal life, but not. It's a lot of work. It can be very difficult. It's not always fun. But the Lord is always with us. I know that now more than I ever have before in my life. It's not even huge miraculous life changing events that make me say this, but the small miracles that we are blessed with every day. The Lord does so much for us each day, but sometimes our eyes are not open enough to realize it. I am grateful that my eyes are being opened. Something that I truly have a testimony of is that when we are seeking to do the will of the Lord, we are blessed, always. There is a quote, and I can't remember who said it, but it basically it says, "When we are doing the Lord's work we are entitled to His help." Just yesterday at church there was a Sister who I really wanted to talk to. She comes to church by herself mostly. Her husband isn't a member and her children are kind of struggling. I don't often see her in the halls, but I really wanted to talk to her to see how she was doing, so I said a little prayer that I would have the opportunity to do so. Not to my surprise, I ran into her in the hallway before Relief Society started, where I have never ran into her before. Usually I only see her once during Sacrament meeting from across the room. I was able to have a really good conversation with her. Heavenly Father answered my prayer so that I could serve one of His children in a very small way, and I feel like I was the most blessed for it. It is these small miracles that I am so grateful for. Heavenly Father is so aware of each of us. I am grateful to see His hand in my life. It brings me peace when I am able to recognize that from day to day.
I am also so grateful for the ward here. The church is amazing, just as the gospel is. My testimony is strengthened as I see the ward members each week. They uplift and encourage us as missionaries, but seeing them uplift and encourage each other is just as happy to me. Our friend, Mary, gave a talk in church this week. She talked about how service in the Church and in the community has blessed her life. Mary had tongue cancer and went through years of treatment to get rid of it. She lost most of her tongue and all of her teeth. Today she is totally cancer free and wears fake teeth that look just wonderful on her. (I was here for the before and after). It was through the service of church members and kind doctors that Mary could make it to all her of appointments and afford her teeth. She has a beautiful testimony of the restored gospel and of the truthfulness of it. It was an inspiring talk.
This week in ward council, our Bishop told us he had an impression that there would be some powerful baptisms coming up in the future. This was encouraging, because it seems that as much as we work, there has not been a huge progression with many of the people we teach. I cannot imagine how happy I would be to see each of them join the Church and receive those blessings. The Lord is preparing people in so many ways. I think a lot of missionary work requires learning the virtue of patience! Our dear, sweet, kind Bishop Pike gave us a little bit of the hope we needed.
This past week we had dinner at the Pinter's home. It was one of the most entertaining dinners I have been to yet. The two younger daughters were so hyper and very loud and giggly. Guess who they reminded me of! I told brother Hinter how at home my dad calls my sisters and I set 1 and set 2, and that his two youngest daughters reminded me a lot of home and my own siblings! It was a classic Mormon dinner with a lot of "life" going on and some good home-cooked food to go with it. Oh, and we had hot fudge pudding cake with ice cream for dessert. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that!
Well, I guess I will "talk" to ya'll in another week! I hope you are getting excited for General Conference. I know I am! The brethren are always so inspired in what they say. I hope that there are things you have been thinking about that the Lord can answer through His Latter day apostles and prophet. We are so blessed in these Latter days! I love you all! Have a good week!
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment