Monday, September 16, 2013

September 16, 2013


Dear Family,
Thank you so much for emailing, writing, sending packages. It means the world to me when I get them! When I hear from you I am reminded of the "why" of the of the gospel, that our greatest happiness can be with our families! And even though I miss you so much, others need to hear and know this too, so I'm hear in the glorious land of Maple Valley Washington!
This may have been the longest week of my mission. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the people, or maybe it was just my attitude (most likely). And I can tell-I'm getting tired! But guess what, time keeps going! Time is a funny thing on the mission. It's so easy to lose track of. Even though 18 months seems like forever, I know it's not enough! There is so much to do to build up the kingdom of God, and I am so blessed to be able to serve a mission for the Lord. I remember Elder Farr would always say how grateful he was to serve a mission when he would bare his testimony. I thought it was an admirable thing to say, but I didn't fully feel his joy. Now I understand the gratitude he had a little bit more. It's a blessing and a miracle that I get to be fully enveloped in God's work, away from the world. Each of His children needs to hear this message, that of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and as we each strive to share it, we are so blessed in return. I know this Gospel is true, not because my brain logically worked out every detail of the gospel and made sense of it, but because I have felt the undeniable witness of the Holy Ghost time and time again, and I've seen the fruits of the gospel in the lives of so many.
We taught Nancy this week. We read with her from the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 27. It had such an effect on her and on our relationship, I feel like! Sister Thompson came as fellowship and she has such a beautiful and strong testimony of the Gospel. We discussed the blessings of following Christ and enduring to the end, how it may be difficult, but as we allow ourselves to embrace the gospel we are blessed and are so happy. The Book of Mormon is powerful! We need to incorporate it more in our teaching, because it truly has the power to bring the Spirit as we read from it and discuss it together. It made me think of how the lord said when two or three gather in my name, there will I be also.
We also taught Karen this week. Wow, what a lesson that was! Karen is such a strong believer in Jesus Christ. I don't think anything on this earth could pull her away from that. She said she has been praying and reading from the Book of Mormon and that she has not been this "on fire" with the Spirit in a long time. However, she has not yet received an answer that she needs to join our Church (really it's Christ's Church). She cannot agree with some of our doctrines, but I think really it's a misinterpretation of the doctrine mixed with her own ideas. She is not lacking in faith; she is not lacking in a desire to follow Jesus Christ. I think there are powerful things going on inside of her heart. She will just need some more time and spiritual elbow grease to sort them out. Sister Hartmann was our fellowship for that lesson. She is just the cutest! She talked with Karen about the light of Christ and the Holy Ghost and at one point she pointed her finger at Karen and said "You need to dig deeper!" but in the most loving way possible.
We had a miracle happen on Sunday! We had no investigators come to church. Then during the middle of sacrament meeting, a brother tapped me on the shoulder and said there was a lady in the foyer looking to talk with the missionaries. Her name is Anna. She wanted to know when church was, when the activities were during the week and so on. We listened to the end of sacrament meeting with her. I asked her where she was from. She said Peru. Then I told her about Olinda, a member we visit quite often who is from Peru. It turns out they know each other and Olinda had told her about Church, but did not know she was coming! It was a very exciting moment at the end of the meeting! Anna is so sweet and kind. She made a beautiful comment during Sunday School about blessings we receive from God and how we should be reaching out to others. She actually lives in our apartment complex, so we are so excited to start teaching her! The Lord really prepares His children. Oh and she used to work for the Church in Peru. She worked with Elder Cook!
Well, I am excited for another week. I hope you are too! Even when getting up in the morning is NOT fun, and you are tired, and there is too much to do in a day, remember that God is with you. I read a talk this morning called "Beautiful Mornings." Each day can be beautiful if we think about Jesus Christ and how much He loves us and what the gospel means to each of Us personally. You should read that talk (lds.org). It's great! I'm going to try to work on it, and to be happier no matter what. Thank you for all being wonderful examples to me. I love you and miss you dearly.
Love,
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment