Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 5, 2013


Dear Family!
This week something happened to me for the first time in my life!......I was stung by a wasp! I'm assuming it was a wasp because there was no stinger in me. And it did not swell up because I think I squeezed the toxin (or whatever they sting you with) out of my finger, because I was squeezing it so hard and I would not let go. I screamed like a little girl. I think Sister Margaritis was shocked and embarrassed and stunned because my scream came out of nowhere. The look on her face was pretty funny. I'm sure if someone saw it they would have laughed their head off as I ran down the side walk, screaming, then hyperventilating, then talking to myself/Sister Margaritis. So now I can say I've been stung by a wasp! Just why I wanted to come on my mission! Ha!
First, before I run out of time, I want to tell you about Teresita. She is this little Filipino lady we met the same day we ran into the Seeley's. We talked to her in her drive way as she watched her grandkids. We left her with a prayer and she said we could come back next week at the same time to teach her more. It seemed like a very casual invitation back, so we were excited, but we didn't expect her to be so interested. So fast-forward to the next week. We decided to park and walk that day, because we get more exercise that way and we get to talk to more people outside. We tried Teresita an hour earlier than we had planned and nobody answered. We came back an hour and 20 mins later (so 20 mins late, technically). We were just kind of frustrated that afternoon and a bit discouraged, so we were lacking faith in the moment. We knocked on her door, she answered, to our surprise, and invited us in. Teresita is so cute. She asked us "Where have you been?" in her Filipino accent, and we kind of explained that we hadn't realized she meant for us to come exactly at 4. Then we asked if we could start with a prayer, and we did. Then Sister Margaritis and I looked at each other for a few seconds, because we were less prepared than usual and Teresita said, "That's it?!" We quickly assured her we had a message to share and I jumped right into the message of the restoration. It was kind of a blessing in a way, because we really had to rely on the Lord, that she would be able to feel the Spirit and understand our message. At the end she said, "From now on at night I read this before I go to bed." (meaning the Book of Mormon). I just love Teresita. She reminds me a lot of Papa Mecate. She has dark hair and is so tiny! And she is very kind and friendly. She is so sweet with her grandkids. Our next lesson with her is this Wednesday at 3, and we are hoping for a miracle! In the last lesson she said she would be baptized if she came to know that teh Book of Mormon is true. She said she doesn't want to jump into anything that she is unsure of. We invited her to come watch a baptism this past Saturday, but she couldn't make it because one of her grandkids was being christened. She said maybe next time though, because she would like to watch one. She is just so humble and has a desire to know the truth. My faith wavers when good things happen. I don't want to get my hopes up and then have them crash, but I know that if Teresita is ready, the Lord will help her and us to help her find her answer and start on the road to baptism. "Faith is not only a feeling, it is a decision." -Elder Anderson. This is something that quickly becomes apparent on a mission, and I know it to be true!
We have a friend named John that lives in the apartment complex we live in. He is often out walking his little dog named Bandit, who Sister Margaritis calls Nico. He's the cutest little dog! John is divorced and served in Iraq for a year. He is one of the nicest guys, but we know he has a hard life. He told Sister Margaritis before I got here that he wasn't interested in the Church, but as we have become better friends with him, I cannot stand that he doesn't have the gospel. It would bring him so much happiness! There is a talk we are going to give him from the last conference that we hope will peak his interest. It's called "The Hope of God's Light" by President Uchtdorf. You should look it up and read it. It is really an amazing talk.
I wish I could tell you all about the members here. They are wonderful! Oh and I need to tell you a quick story from Sunday. There were these 2 little boys in red button up shirts. The family was visiting the ward. I turned to them and asked them their names. The younger one said, "Daniel," and the older one said, "James." James was looking at me and then my name-tag and then I said, 'And I'm Sister Mecate." And then he half whispered, "And you're Beautiful." I looked at him, surprised and flattered! Ha! His parents are going to have to watch out for that one! But he made my day for sure!

I love you and hope you are all having a good week. I apologize that I don't communicate more individually with you all. I am a slow writer I think. My favorite scripture this week is 2 Nephi 33:6. "I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus for he hath redeemed my soul from hell."
Jesus is the Christ. I know that He lives. I know that he loves each of us more than we can comprehend. And that love blesses us with a power to overcome sorrow, grief, guilt, and pain that is more miraculous than we can know. The gospel is wonderful and I am so grateful that I have this opportunity to learn so much about it. I love you!
Sister Mecate

No comments:

Post a Comment